Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie

Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Dad

As some of you know my Dad passed away last month. (This is a picture of him with Aaron the weekend of Aaron's baby blessing.) For the medical professionals out there, it is my understanding that he had a hemorrhagic stroke in his cerebellum. The swelling got so bad it pressed on his brain stem. He lost sensation and mobility of one side and had difficulty swallowing. Eventually he got fluid in his lungs which developed into pneumonia and he went into cardiac arrest. They couldn't revive him the second time. It was a few days before my parents anniversary (I believe 45 years). We are all sad to lose him but after the stroke I believe he would have had a hard time dealing with the disabilities he was facing. He is not in pain and with his parents and siblings now.

At times like this I am grateful for my belief in eternal families. I am sad that my dad died but I am glad that he didn't have to suffer. I know that I will see him again some day and so I feel better knowing he died with minimal pain rather then having to live the rest of his days dependent on others. If you knew my dad he was too independent to be happy like that. He was the epitome of the man who won't stop for directions.

It has been good though because we (or at least I) have heard some stories from Dad's childhood friend and family members about Dad when he was younger. It has been a lot of good memories and reminiscing and I think I may understand my dad more now then I ever did. He was a great father to all of us and will be missed.

2 comments:

Bobbi said...

Kaylynne, I am so sorry to hear that your dad passed away. I didn't know that. I hope your family is feeling blessed.

Katie said...

I am so sorry Kaylynne about your dad. Prayers for you and your family.